In a move that is definitely box office history, the film Straight Outta Compton grossed an astounding $56 million this weekend. At this pace, it seems that the film will not only go past the $100 million domestic gross that some predicted during the early receipts, but with that huge opening, even bigger than Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation! If that happens, it will be something that has never been done before.
For the record, with that gross the film is the biggest opening ever for any film with a black cast and a black director, and it’s set to become the biggest grossing black cast/black director film as well. And depending on the following week’s percentage drop, the film looks headed for possibly $140-150 million, easily topping Gray’s previous biggest hit, his 2003 remake of The Italian Job, which grossed $106 million, and was a crossover mainstream movie.
See the weekend box office below;
1) Straight Outta Compton Uni. $56,100,000
2) Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation Par. $17,300,000 Total: $138,437,000
3) The Man From U.N.C.L.E. WB $13,535,000
4) Fantastic Four Fox $8,000,000 Total $41,961,000
5) The Gift STX $6,500,000 Total $23,577,000
6) Ant-Man BV $5,517,000 Total $157,568,000
7) Vacation WB (NL) $5,330,000 Total $46,852,000
8) Minions Uni. $5,200,000 Total $312,969,000
9) Ricki and the Flash TriS $4,570,000 Total $14,656,000
10) Trainwreck Uni. $3,800,000 Total $97,919,000
11) Pixels Sony $3,415,000 Total $64,533,000
12) Shaun the Sheep Movie LGF $2,850,000 Total $11,117,000